Minutes April 13, 2022 Regular Board Meeting
Town of Oulu
Regular Board Meeting
April 13, 2022 ~ 6:47 p.m. – 9:08 p.m.
The Town of Oulu regular board meeting was called to order by Jonathan Hamilton, Chair at 6:47 p.m. at the Town Hall.
Roll call: Members present: Jon Hamilton, Ed Burhans, Diana Reijo, clerk, and Marjorie Lahti, treasurer. Absent: Tim Ciembronowicz. Town employee: Michael Davidson.
Approval of agenda: Motion by Burhans, second by Hamilton to move agenda item #7 Cemetery/Park/Road Airport Road Maintenance Report to follow agenda item #5 and approve the agenda as amended. Absent: Ciembronowicz. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
- Approve general fund vouchers 13498-13545, ACH 520-530
- Minutes of the March 9, 2022 regular board meeting and March 30, 2022 special board meeting.
Motion by Burhans, second by Hamilton to approve the consent agenda as amended. Absent: Ciembronowicz. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Treasurer’s Report: – General – $183,363.99 Tax Account $95,915.03 ARPA $27,789.50
Road Maintenance/cemetery/park report:
- Calvin & Cheryl Ruska and Cory Hansen expressed concern with water running over Bain Road and the condition of the blacktop (breaking up) on County Line Rd – board will contact the Town of Hughes to set up a meeting to discuss possible road solutions
- Steaming culverts
- Filling in some potholes on roads
- Will start grading when the roads dry up
Snapper Mower bids:
Two bids received: Seth Ray $260 and Dale Nelson, Jr. $430. Motion by Burhans, second by Hamilton to award the bid to the highest bidder – Dale Nelson for $430. Absent: Ciembronowicz. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Town board is trying to find out who is stealing scrap iron and going through the garbage dumpsters. The No Trespassing signs were torn down.
Sale of Truck Update: Tabled. Supervisor Burhans will advertise it on an auction site.
Plan Commission members:
Sandra Rantala and Marjorie Lahti submitted their letter of interest in serving as members of the Plan
Commission. Motion by Hamilton, second by Burhans to appoint Marjorie Lahti and Sandra Rantala to serve on the Plan Commission for a three-year term beginning May 1, 2022 through April 30, 2025. Absent: Ciembronowicz. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Gravel specs – Motion by Hamilton, second by Burhans for the clerk to advertise for 3,000 yards of grade 2, ¾” gravel (in accordance with DOT specifications) and include provision for residents to purchase gravel at the bid price. Gravel must be spread by September 15, 2022. Bids will be opened at the May 11, 2022 meeting. Absent: Ciembronowicz. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Cemetery spring clean-up:
Discussion held on cleaning up and raking the cemetery. Clerk will post a notice asking for volunteers to help rake and clean-up Hillcrest Cemetery for Memorial Day. Volunteers may contact Supervisor Burhans for additional information.
Discussion held on changes to the spring newsletter. A 40-yard dumpster will be available. Price for tire disposal will remain the same and a pick-up load of garbage will also remain at $20. Newsletter will be mailed out after the May meeting to include the gravel price for residents.
Bayfield County Health Infrastructure Grant:
Supervisor Ciembronowicz working on the application. The application will need approval by the town board prior to submission.
Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) Grant:
Chair Hamilton is working with Scott Weyandt, from Weyandt Engineering on several applications for various road projects. A special board meeting will need to be scheduled to review the Request for Qualifications.
Hay from park:
Keith Holly made a request to acquire the hay from the town park. Motion by Burhans, second by Hamilton to allow Keith Holly to get the hay after the field dries out and that he will be responsible for repairing any damage done to the field. Absent: Ciembronowicz. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Request for Qualifications:
Chair Hamilton acknowledged receipt of one Request for Qualifications from Short Elliott Hendrickson, Inc. of Chippewa Falls, WI
- Bayfield County Land Records Office – intent to sell parcel of land located in the Town of Oulu
- Bayfield County Health Dept. – Information on 2022-2023 Health Infrastructure Grant Opportunity for Bayfield County Towns, Municipalities and Tribe
- Gravel bids
- Update on landfill
- Truck update
Set dates for next meeting/s:
- Special board meeting scheduled for April 15, 2022, at the town hall, beginning at 5:00 p.m.
- Annual meeting scheduled for April 19, 2022, at the town hall, beginning at 6:30 p.m.
- Special board meeting scheduled for April 19, 2022, at the town hall, following adjournment of the annual meeting
- Regular board meeting scheduled for May 11, 2022, at the town hall, beginning at 6:45 p.m. Bills will be reviewed at 6:30 p.m.
Motion by Burhans, second by Hamilton to adjourn to closed session at 8:04 p.m. as per Wisconsin State Statutes 19.85(1)(a) to discuss a judicial matter. Yes: Burhans, Hamilton. No: None. Absent: Ciembronowicz. Abstain: None. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote.
Motion by Burhans, second by Hamilton to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 9:08 p.m.
Diana Reijo, Clerk