Town of Oulu
Regular Board Meeting
February 12, 2020 ~ 6:45 p.m. – 7:23 p.m.
The Town of Oulu regular board meeting was called to order by Sandy Rantala, chairperson at 6:45 p.m. at the Town Hall.
Members present: Klaus Nieder, Sandra Rantala, and Diana Reijo, clerk and Marjorie Lahti, treasurer. Absent and excused: Jonathan Hamilton. Town employee: Mike Davidson.
Approval of agenda:
Motion by Nieder, second by Rantala to approve the agenda as printed and posted. Absent: Hamilton. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Motion by Nieder, second by Rantala to approve the consent agenda as printed and posted:
- Approve general fund vouchers 12985-13003, ACH 422-425, Tax Account 851-861
- Minutes of the January 8, 2020 regular board meeting
Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Treasurer’s Report: – General – $66,741.14 Tax Account $355,426.64
Community groups or individuals:
- Rodney Lahti – winter snowplowing
- Ed Burhans – roads and bus turn-a-rounds
- Isaac Dull – school bus not picking up his daughter due to no town turn-a-round
Plan Commission Report: S. Rantala
Special Use Permit application – Ethan Rautio:
- 36 acre parcel in the NE1/4 SE1/4 Section 14; 73465 Kaukamo Road
- Construct a new house
- Parcel is zoned Agriculture 1
- Parcel size is 36 acres
- Parcel is zoned Agricultural 1
- Parcel Future Land Use Class is Forestry Core (the majority of the parcel is forested)
- Forestry Core allows the maximum density of 1 building unit complex per 35 acres
The Special Use Permit application to build a residential structure on this parcel is consistent with the Zoning Classification and the Future Land Use Class for the parcel.
Plan Commission Recommendation:
Approve the Special Use Permit application with the following conditions as supported by the Findings. Conditions:
- No change in the project construction type (new construction, mobile house, manufactured house, recreational vehicle) is allowed without review by the Town Plan Commission and approval of the Town Board.
- The Town may periodically review the Special Use Permit to assure compliance with the permit conditions and the Town’s Comprehensive Plan.
Special Use application – Ethan Rautio:
A Special Use Permit application for Ethan Rautio to build a residential building on a 36.46 acre parcel in the NE¼ SE¼, S14 T48N R9W; Tax ID: 26793
Motion by Nieder, second by Rantala to approve the Special Use Permit application based on the Plan Commission’s recommendation with the following conditions as supported by the Findings:: (1) No change in the application proposal is allowed without review by the Town Plan Commission and approval of the Town Board and (2) The Town may periodically review the Special Use Permit to assure compliance with the permit conditions and the Town’s Comprehensive Plan. Absent: Hamilton. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Improvements to town garage:
Supervisor Nieder proposed installing an overhead door in the back of the garage and adding an indoor bathroom. Tabled.
Supervisor Nieder proposed increasing the snowplowing fee for the 2020-21 snowplowing season along with adopting a snowplowing policy. Tabled.
US Census 2020 Initial Boundary Validation Program (BVP):
Motion by Nieder, second by Rantala to approve and adopt the US Census 2020 Initial Boundary Validation Program (BVP) map as proposed by the US Census. Absent: Hamilton. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Procedure for appointing two Plan Commission Members:
Duane Lahti and Frederick Strand’s plan commission terms expire in April. Clerk will post notices at the Town’s legal posting sites. Deadline for applications is Friday, April 3, 2020.
Road maintenance/cemetery/park report:
- 95% of the roads have been graded with the stinger blades
- Roads have been sanded
- Signs have been put up by the bumps on Oulu Rock Road and Bain Road (logging operations)
- Need to obtain a quote for generator
- Bayfield County Planning & Zoning Dept. – Upcoming BC Planning & Zoning Committee Public Hearing and Meeting
- Enbridge Energy – moving forward with the re-route of a segment of Line 5
- Bayfield County Land & Water Conservation Dept. – Thank you for Adopt-A-Dumpster Program
- Update on park project
Date/s for Next Meeting/s:
- Regular Board Meeting scheduled for March 11, 2020, at the town hall, beginning at 6:45 p.m. Bills will be reviewed at 6:30 p.m.
Motion by Rantala, second by Nieder to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 7:23 p.m.