Minutes January 7th
Town of Oulu
Regular Plan Commission Meeting
January 7, 2019 ~ 6:31 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
The January 7, 2019 regular Plan Commission meeting was called to order at 6:31 p.m. at the Town Hall by Chairman Fred Strand.
Members present: Tonya Koehler, Duane Lahti, Marjorie Lahti, Sandra Rantala, Frederick
Strand and Diana Reijo, clerk. Absent: None.
Motion by Rantala, second by Koehler to approve the agenda as printed and posted. Motion carried by voice vote.
Motion by D. Lahti, second by M. Lahti to approve the minutes of the August 6, 2018 regular board meeting as presented. Motion carried by voice vote.
Community Members as Pre-Registered – Oral and/or Written.
*No community members registered at this time.
Special Use Application:
Review Special Use Application:
Dirk & Jane Stolz request for a hobby farm – with a maximum of 6 bovine on 385 acres
that is fenced. Tax I.D# 2’s: 26700, 26701, 26708, 26709, 26710,26713, 26715, 26716,
34280, 34850, 34851, 37342 – all of the parcels are in section 10
Zoned: Forestry 1 and Ag 1
Special Use Permit application:
- 12 parcels located in section 10 containing 385 acres; 74180 Hoover Line Road
- Hobby farm with a maximum of 6 bovine on 385 acres that is fenced
- Property is zoned Agriculture 1 and Forestry 1
- 12 parcels contain 385 acres
- 3 parcels containing 120 acres are zoned Agriculture 1
- 9 parcels containing 265 acres are zoned Forestry 1
- 1 parcel containing 40 acres: the future land use designation is Agricultural Core
The primary use for Agricultural Core is agricultural; secondary use is very low density residential
3 parcels containing 30 acres: the future land use designation is Rural-Moderate
The primary use for Rural-Moderate Residential is large-lot or clustered residential; secondary use is forestry, recreation and limited home-based businesses
- 8 parcels containing 315 acres: the future land use designation is Forestry
The primary use is forestry; secondary use is recreational and very limited residential
- A hobby farm with bovines is an agricultural activity
- The Special Use application for a hobby farm with a maximum of 6 bovines is consistent with the zoning classification for 120 acres (Tax Id parcels: 26708, 26709 and 26710) and for the future land use designation for 40 acres (Tax Id parcel 26709).
- The Special Use application for a hobby farm with a maximum of 6 bovines is not consistent with the zoning classification for 265 acres and is not consistent with the future land use designation for 345 acres.
- A Special Use permit is not required for a hobby farm with bovines on agricultural zoned land
Motion by D. Lahti, second by M. Lahti to deny the Special Use application for 385 acres and approve the 120 acres for agriculture use that are zoned appropriately by Bayfield County Zoning and that 80 acres (zoned Forestry on Oulu’s future land use plan)) of the 120 acres is not consistent with the Town of Oulu’s Comprehensive Plan.
Motion carried by voice vote. Agenda item/s for next meeting:
Next meeting date/s:
Plan Commission regular meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 4, 2019, beginning at
6:30 p.m. at the town hall.
Motion by Rantala, second by Koehler to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m. Respectfully Submitted,
Diana Reijo, Clerk