Minutes July 1
Town of Oulu
Regular Plan Commission Meeting
July 1, 2019 ~ 6:33 p.m. – 6:49 p.m.
The July 1, 2019 Plan Commission regular meeting was called to order at 6:33 p.m. at the Town Hall by Chairman Fred Strand.
Members present: Duane Lahti, Marjorie Lahti, Sandra Rantala, Frederick Strand, Diana Reijo, clerk. Absent and excused: Tonya Koehler.
Motion by M. Lahti, second by Rantala to approve the agenda as printed and posted. Absent: Koehler. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Motion by D. Lahti, second by M. Lahti to approve the minutes of the May 6, 2019 regular board meeting as corrected. Absent: Koehler. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Community Members as Pre-Registered – Oral and/or Written.
*No community members registered at this time.
New Business: UDC proposals:
Two proposals were received and reviewed. Inspector Rob Agency, LLC (Robert Lietha), Superior,
and Bob Miller, Ashland. Board members reviewed and compared the two proposals.
• Both Inspectors are state licensed UDC inspectors.
• Fees: see attached fee schedule. Miller’s fees would probably be less on smaller dwellings.
Lietha’s fees would probably be less on moderate to larger dwellings.
• Agreement/contract: Miller offered a simple Delegation of Authority document. Lietha offered a comprehensive agreement.
• Insurance: Miller has personal liability insurance and requires the Town to provide liability insurance to the UDC inspector. Lietha has commercial liability, property damage and motor vehicle insurance.
• Service area: Miller’s work area is primarily in Ashland County and a couple of Towns in eastern Bayfield County. Lietha’s work area is Douglas County and many of the Towns in western Bayfield County.
• References: Miller’s references were all positive. Lietha’s references were all positive with several of them being very highly recommended.
Motion by M. Lahti to recommend Rob Agency, LLC (Robert Lietha) as the UDC inspector to the town board, seconded by Rantala. Absent: Koehler. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
The Plan Commission drafted an UDC ordinance to meet the State standards for UDC inspection and permitting for 1 and 2 family dwellings and camping units.
• A UDC inspection and permit is required anytime a County Land Use permit is required for a dwelling intended for human habitation. Restoration or repairs to a dwelling that does not require a County Land Use permit does not required a UDC inspection or permit.
• DSPS (Dept. of Safety & Professional Services) approved the Town UDC draft ordinance. Motion by D. Lahti, second by M. Lahti to recommend approval of the UDC ordinance as drafted by
the Plan Commission. Absent: Koehler. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Agenda item/s for next meeting: None at this time.
Next meeting date/s:
Plan Commission regular meeting scheduled for Monday, August 5, 2019, beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the town hall.
Motion by Strand to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 6:49 p.m. Respectfully Submitted,
Diana Reijo, Clerk