Town of Oulu
Regular Board Meeting
July 14, 2021 ~ 7:18 p.m. – 8:40 p.m.
The Town of Oulu regular board meeting was called to order by Jonathan Hamilton, chair at 7:18 p.m. at the Town Hall.
Members present: Edward Burhans, Timothy Ciembronowicz, Jonathan Hamilton, Diana Reijo, clerk, and Marjorie Lahti, treasurer. Absent: None. Town employee: Michael Davidson.
Approval of agenda:
Motion by Burhans, second by Hamilton to approve the agenda as printed and posted. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Motion by Burhans, second by Ciembronowicz to approve the consent agenda as printed and posted:
- Approve general fund vouchers 13329-13348 and ACH 490-494
- Minutes of the June 9, 2021 adjourned board of review and June 9, 2021 regular board meeting
Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Treasurer’s Report: – General – $175,159.85 Tax Account $ 101,014.55
Hearing is scheduled for August 11, 2021 at the regular board meeting. Cost is higher that anticipated.
Airport Road Update:
Shouldering and field accesses have been completed. Project is complete.
WI DOR Correspondence:
Robert and Perri Campbell, assessors explained the 70.57 Correction and Compensation Process received from the Department of Revenue. The 2020 Board of Review assessment figures were submitted to the state after the equalized values were released, which means the Town of Oulu has a correction and compensation to be applied to the 2021 Equalized Value.
One bid was submitted from Northwoods Paving for the Oulu Rock Road project. Bid price $194,764.40.
Motion by Ciembronowicz, second by Burhans to accept Northwoods Paving bid of $194,764.40 for pulverizing and applying hot mix asphalt on 1.25 miles of Oulu Rock Road from West Colby south to the new pavement. Project will spread out over a two-year span with pulverizing and spreading three inches of gravel for the base this year [approximate cost $55,431] and next year add one inch of gravel for base and apply the hot mix asphalt. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
American Rescue Plan Act/Local Fiscal Recovery Fund (ARPA/LFRF):
Funds were applied for and the town will receive $55,579 over the next two years. $27,789.50 has been received this year.
Laptop/printer purchase for town garage:
Motion by Hamilton, second by Ciembronowicz to purchase a laptop and printer for the town garage. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Amend Ordinance 08-01 for All-Terrain and Utility Terrain Vehicles:
Motion by Ciembronowicz, second by Burhans to amend and adopt Ordinance 08-01 All-Terrain and Utility-Terrain Vehicles as follows:
Ordinance for All-Terrain/Utility Terrain Vehicles
The Town of Oulu does hereby ordain the following All-Terrain/Utility Terrain vehicle ordinance in accordance with all Wisconsin Statues defined in section 340.1 (2g) and including 23.33 (11), (8), (B) and NR 64.12 (1-6):
Section 1. Title and Intent: This ordinance shall be called the “Town of Oulu All-Terrain/Utility Terrain Vehicle (ATV/UTV) Ordinance”.
The intent of this ordinance is to revoke all former Town of Oulu All-Terrain/Utility Terrain Vehicle ordinances, and to give ATV/UTV operators a legal means for travel in the Town of Oulu and connection to outside ATV/UTV trails.
Section 2. State Statute Adopted: Wisconsin State Statute 23.33, relating to all-terrain is hereby adopted. Wisconsin Statute 346.02(2) relating to rule of the road for all-terrain/utility terrain vehicles is adopted. Chapter NR 64 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code relating to all-terrain/utility terrain vehicles is hereby adopted. Subsequent amendments, revisions, modifications, and/or renumbering of said Wisconsin State Statutes 46.02(11) Wisconsin State Statutes and Chapter NR 64 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code are intended to be and shall be upon their effective e date become a part of this ordinance by reference as if fully set forth in full herein.
Section 3. All-Terrain (ATV)/Utility Terrain (UTV) Travel with the Township Limits.
The following roads within the Town of Oulu are designated the only ATV/UTV routes within the township.
- Hautala Road from Kaukamo Road at the east to Country Highway “B” at the west.
- Hoover Line Road from Hughes town line at the south to Hautala Road at the north.
- East View Road from Hoover Line Road east to the Town of Tripp Cheese Factory Road.
- Boulevard Road beginning at Hautala Road to Bayfield Line Road.
- Bayfield Line Road from Boulevard Road east to Range Line Road.
- Range Line Road south to Tri-County corridor in the Town of Hughes.
- West Colby Road beginning at Oulu Rock Road west to Leppanen Road.
- Oulu Rock Road beginning at West Colby Road south to Bain Road.
- Oulu Rock Road from Bain Road west to Douglas County Line Road.
- Rankinson Road from Oulu Rock Road east to Hoover Line Road.
- Airport Road from Hughes Town Line north to Goetsch Road.
ATV/UTV travel is allowed and limited for travel only on ATV/UTV signed roads in the Town of Oulu. This ordinance designates the roadways and/or shoulders of specific highways for ATV/UTV travel by persons residing within the limits of the town of Oulu, Bayfield County, Wisconsin to travel for the shortest distance that is necessary to reach the ATV/UTV trail or route that is closest to the residence.
Section 4. Safety Regulations: No person shall operate an ATV/UTV in the following manner.
- At a rate of speed that is unreasonable or improper under the circumstances.
- In any careless way so as to endanger the person or property of another.
- All persons operating ATVs/UTVs are required to meet and obey Wisconsin Statutes 23.33, regulating the operating of all-terrain/utility terrain vehicles.
- Without a functioning muffler with spark arrestor.
Section 5. Traffic Regulations:
- All operations of an ATV/UTV on or near highways must comply with Wisconsin Statutes 23.33(4) (a-e).
Section 6. Enforcement and Penalties:
- This ordinance shall be enforced by the Bayfield County Sheriff’s Department.
- Wisconsin State ATV/UTV penalties as found in s. 23.33(13), Wisconsin Statutes, are adopted by reference.
Section 7. Severability:
The provisions of this ordinance shall be deemed severable and it is expressly declared that the Oulu Town Board would have passed the other provisions of this ordinance irrespective of where or not one or more provisions may be declared invalid. If any provision of this ordinance or the application of such provision to any person or circumstances is held invalid, the remainder of the ordinance and the application of such provisions to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected.
Section 8. Effective Date: This ordinance shall become effective upon its passage and publication or posting, pursuant to law. This ordinance re-places/supersedes all/any previous ATV/UTV ordinances.
Roll call vote: Yes: Burhans, Ciembronowicz, Hamilton. No: None. Abstain: None. Absent: None. Motion carried by roll call vote.
40-yard dumpster is still at the landfill. People are trespassing and stealing iron from the landfill. Motion by Ciembronowicz, second by Burhans to pursue filing trespassing and theft charges with Bayfield County Sheriff’s Department. Supervisor Ciembronowicz will contact the sheriff’s department regarding this situation. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
- Grader is being repaired
- Gravel was put on Eastview, south Hoover Line [with 2” of clean gravel], and south Muskeg roads
- Culverts and holes were repaired and gravel was put on Elonen Road
- Makela Excavating has been ditching on south Hoover Line Road but road will not be completed until the grader is repaired. Town employee will put up a road closed sign until the road can be completed.
- Repairs are completed on the Airport Road bridge and Bayfield Line Road bridge is almost completed.
- Road side mowing is almost done
- End of pavement sign was put up by North Hissa Road
- Park Report
Set dates for next meeting/s:
Regular board meeting scheduled for August 11, 2021, at the town hall, beginning at 6:45 p.m. Bills will be reviewed at 6:30 p.m.
Motion by Ciembronowicz, second by Burhans to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
Diana Reijo, Clerk