Town of Oulu
Regular Board Meeting
May 12, 2021 ~ 6:45 p.m. – 8:25 p.m.
The Town of Oulu regular board meeting was called to order by Jonathan Hamilton, chair at 6:45 p.m. at the Town Hall.
Members present: Jonathan Hamilton, Edward Burhans, Timothy Ciembronowicz, Diana Reijo, clerk, and Marjorie Lahti, treasurer. Absent: None. Town employee: Michael Davidson.
Approval of agenda:
Motion by Ciembronowicz, second by Burhans to approve the agenda as printed and posted. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Motion by Ciembronowicz, second by Burhans to approve the consent agenda as printed and posted:
- Approve general fund vouchers 13287-13305 and ACH 482-486
- Minutes of the April 14, 2021 regular board meeting and April 29, 2021 special board meeting
Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Treasurer’s Report: – General – $134,793.93 Tax Account $ 101,012.86.
Plan Commission Report:
Owners: Tamara and Micah Jaesperson; 40-acre parcel in the NW1/4 SW1/4 Section 29; 2165 Rankinson Road; rezone from Forestry 1 to Agriculture 1
- Parcel size is 40 acres
- Parcel is zoned Forestry 1
- Parcel Future Land Use Class is Forestry Core
- The Future Land Use Class was based on the parcel being mostly forested
- The property has a history of agricultural use.
- There is an old barn on the property
- The parcel has about 8 acres of open, formerly agriculturally used land
- Parcels that adjoin the subject parcel on 4 sides are zoned Ag 1
- A Zoning district change to Ag 1 would not be spot zoning
Plan Commission Recommendation:
- The Plan Commission and the Town Board should change the Future Land Use Class for this parcel to Agriculture Core the next time the Town’s Comprehensive Plan is amended.
- Approve the Zoning District change as supported by the Findings.
Motion by Burhans, second by Ciembronowicz to hire John Carlson, from Spears, Carlson & Coleman as the town’s attorney to legally vacate a portion of Laine Road. Motion carried unan-imously by voice vote. Chair Hamilton will contact the landowners.
Motion by Burhans, second by Ciembronowicz to split the costs in thirds with the landowners. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Micah and Tamara Jaesperson’s rezoning request:
Motion by Ciembronowicz, second by Burhans to approve Micah and Tamara Jaesperson’s re-zoning application to rezone a 40-acre parcel in the NW1/4 SW1/4 Section 29; 2165 Rankinson Road from Forestry 1 to Agriculture 1 based on the Plan Commission’s recommendation with the following conditions as supported by the Findings: (1) the Plan Commission and the Town Board should change the Future Land Use Class for this parcel to Agriculture Core, and (2) ap-prove the Zoning District change as supported by the Findings. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Discussion held regarding ATV/UTV/Snowmobile route ordinances. Motion by Ciem-bronowicz, second by Burhans to add the following condition to the ATV/UTV Ordinance which designates the roadways and/or shoulders of specific highways for ATV/UTV travel by persons residing within the limits of the town of Oulu, Bayfield County, Wisconsin to travel for the shortest distance that is necessary to reach the ATV/UTV trail or route that is closest to the residence, and make no changes to the Snowmobile Ordinance. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Chair Hamilton made the following appointments:
- Highway Supervisor – Jonathan Hamilton
- Cemetery – Timothy Ciembronowicz
- Landfill and Recycling – Edward Burhans
- Park – Timothy Ciembronowicz
- Plan Commission (Board representative) – Edward Burhans
- As per WI State Statutes 66.0607(3) that the town chair (Jonathan Hamilton), clerk (Diana Reijo), and treasurer (Marjorie Lahti) shall countersign all drafts or order checks and all transfer orders from Security State Bank, town depository
Spring newsletter information was updated and will be mailed out to residents.
Oulu Rock Road bid specs for scrubseal/chipseal:
Discussion held on scrubseal/chipseal specs. Tabled until a road assessment is complete.
Airport Road project:
Discussion held on the status of the completion of Airport Road. It will still be approximately 6-8 weeks until the project is complete. Town employee will replace the culvert on Saarkinen Road.
Bayfield County Health Infrastructure Grant application:
Supervisor Ciembronowicz will apply for the Bayfield County Health Infrastructure Grant requesting playground equipment and funding for relocating the outdoor toilets due to safety concerns of the leaky vault and the potential for contamination given the close proximity to the well. Grant application deadline is May 28, 2021.
Discussion on hiring seasonal, part-time help – would prefer hiring someone with a CDL. Clerk will advertise for part-time help.
Road maintenance report:
- The water at the park was turned on
- Repaired the parking lot at the park
- Suggestion was made to install cameras at the park
- Portions of the cemetery still need raking
- Gravel was put on the driveway in the cemetery where it washed out
- Lime will be ordered for the park
- Reshaping roads
- Met with Allan Makela regarding ditching the south end of Hoover Line Road – $105/hr
Agenda item/s for next meeting:
- Oulu Rock Road
- Park Report
- ATV/UTV ordinances
Set dates for next meeting/s:
- Annual Road Inspection scheduled for May 14, 2021, beginning at 8am
- Board of Review meeting scheduled for June 9, 2021, beginning at 6:25pm.
- Regular board meeting scheduled for June 9, 2021 at the town hall, beginning at 6:45 p.m. Bills will be reviewed at 6:30 p.m.
- Steve Lahti requesting Ag-lime for the park
Motion by Ciembronowicz, second by Burhans to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 8:25 p.m.
Diana Reijo, Clerk