Town of Oulu
Regular Plan Commission Meeting
September 3, 2019 ~ 6:32 p.m. – 6:46 p.m.
Chairman Fred Strand called the September 3, 2019 regular Plan Commission meeting to order at 6:32 p.m. at the Town Hall.
Members present: Tonya Koehler, Duane Lahti, Marjorie Lahti, Sandra Rantala, Frederick
Strand and Diana Reijo, clerk. Absent: None.
Motion by Rantala, second by Koehler to approve the agenda as printed and posted. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Motion by D. Lahti, second by M. Lahti to approve the minutes of the July 1, 2019 regular board meeting as presented. Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Community Members as Pre-Registered – Oral and/or Written.
*No community members registered at this time.
Special Use Application:
Review Special Use Application:
Matthew and Tonja Sell request for a short-term rental. Legal description: NW¼ NE¼ S30 T48N R9W; Acreage: 5.2; Tax I.D # 34853
Special Use Permit application:
- 5.2 acre parcel in the NW¼ NE¼ Section 30; 1675 West Colby Road
Allow short-term rental in an existing house
- Parcel size is 5.2 acres
- Parcel is zoned Forestry 1
- This parcel existed prior to the adoption of the Comprehensive Plan, but this information was not known to the Plan Commission or to the Town Board at that time.
- The Comprehensive Plan included this parcel as part of a larger 40-acre parcel with a Future Land Use Class of Forestry Core which allows the maximum density of one building complex per 35 acres.
- Given that this parcel existed prior to the adoption of the Comprehensive Plan, it would be appropriate for the Future Land Use Class for this parcel to be Rural-Moderate Residential, which allows for the maximum of one building complex per 5 acres.
- The Town’s Comprehensive Plan does not address short-term house rental.
- The Special Use Permit application to allow short-term rental of a house on this parcel is consistent with the Zoning Classification and does not conflict with the Future Land Use Class of Rural-Moderate Residential.
- The owners will also have to obtain a short-term rental permit from the Bayfield County Health Department.
September 3, 2019 Plan Commission Meeting page 2
Motion by D. Lahti, second by Koehler to Approve the Special Use Permit application with the following conditions as supported by the Findings.
o No change in the permit application proposal is allowed without review by the
Town Plan Commission and approval of the Town Board.
o The Town may periodically review the Special Use Permit to assure
compliance with the permit conditions and the Town’s Comprehensive Plan.
Motion carried unanimously by voice vote.
Motion by M. Lahti, second by Rantala to change the Future Land Use Class for this parcel (Tax I.D # 34853) to Rural-Moderate Residential the next time the Town’s Comprehensive Plan is amended.
Motion carried unanimously by voice vote. Agenda item/s for next meeting:
Next meeting date/s:
Plan Commission regular meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 7, 2019, beginning at
6:30 p.m. at the town hall.
Motion by Strand to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 6:46 p.m. Respectfully Submitted,
Diana Reijo, Clerk